Here ye will fin' all manner of unspeakable beasties an' their activities...
An' remember ta' beware o' th' Rabbit!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Entry for January 24, 2007

That article on painting an army in a week (http://wargames.nordalia.com/index.php?page=viewarticle&id=19) I have been inspired. Last night I finished the base coat on most of my bases. At this stage I have paused to reflect on a few things.

My current painting sequence:

1. Clean and organize the figures.
2. Mount the figures and texture the bases
3. Prime everything at once
4. Paint the figures
5. Paint the bases
6. Clean up and dry brush everything
7. Static grass, etc
8. Seal with varnish

For my next army it will be:

1. Clean and organize the figures.
2. Mount them in base order on sticks
3. Prime & paint
4. Mount the figures and texture the bases (with colored texture medium)
5. Clean up and drybrush everything
6. Static grass, etc
7. Seal with varnish

One less step and lots less frustration. Lar-Lar had commented that it is hard to paint the figures when they are already mounted on a base. I don't find it any harder to paint them on a base compared to mounted in a line on sticks. What I do find harder is to paint the base around the figures. I have to do it twice...once with a small brush for the hard to reach spots and then once with a large brush to cover the big areas...if I mix paint in with the Liquitex sand medium, I won't have to do much more than drybrush...

I will have to remember that for my mini-sloths...

Tim, they call him...

No comments: